Monday, February 20, 2012

My Favorite Heart Healthy Breakfast

Last week one of my residents (I work in a Senior Citizen Apartment building.) brought me the latest issue of Taste of Home Magazine.  He recently had a heart attack and purchased the magazine after seeing "Eat Your Heart Healthy" printed across the top.  As we reviewed the heart healthy recipes together one of them caught my eye - Brown Sugar & Banana Oatmeal.  One word . . . YUM!!!  I made it for my dinner that night and it's so simple to make that I've eaten it for breakfast every day since.  If you are a fan of oatmeal, you have to try this!

Brown Sugar & Banana Oatmeal
1 cup fat-free milk
1/2 cup quick-cooking oats
1 tsp brown sugar
1 tsp honey
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 large ripe banana, sliced

Combine the milk and oatmeal.  Microwave for 2-1/2 minutes.  Stir in the brown sugar, honey, cinnamon and banana. 
215 calories, 2g fat, 3mg cholesterol, 71 mg sodium, 42g carbohydrate, 4g fiber, 10g protein

February is American Heart Month.  Heart disease is the #1 killer among women.  Prior to starting my Fitness Journey I was living with many of the risk factors associated with heart disease - high blood pressure, overweight, being physically inactive, and family history.  One in four women will die from heart disease - I didn't want that to be me.  I don't want that to be you.  Check out   www.thehearttruth.gov for more information about heart disease and what you can do to prevent it.  And while you read it - enjoy a bowl of heart healthy oatmeal!

No comments:

Post a Comment