Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Walk Away or Walk It Off

Several weeks ago I read a small article tucked in the back of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette about the cost of food.  The article was not talking about dollars and cents, but rather time and sweat.  How many miles will I need to run to burn off that burger?  How many sit-ups will that cupcake cost me? 

This article put food in a different perspective for me.  Are the 15 seconds it will take for me to inhale a handful of chips or a candy bar be worth the 30 minutes it will take me to burn off the calories?  Probably not.  When faced with the decision of a large piece of cake versus a small piece of cake, I would always take the bigger piece not giving a second thought to the fact that I knew I would feel sick after eating it.  But now when I look at the pieces of cake from the perspective of how much exercise it will take to burn off those calories, I'm more inclined to take the smaller piece. 

Asking myself a simple question before making a decision about what foods I eat has helped me to make healthier choices . . . Do I walk away now or walk it off later?

No comments:

Post a Comment