Sunday, November 3, 2013

Plan Your Work and Work Your Plan

I spent more time than usual in front of the TV this weekend - Hallmark kicked off their delightfully cheesy yet hopelessly addictive holiday movie season.  These movies are one of my most favorite parts of these last two months of the year!  As my time in front of the TV dragged on, the items that would not get crossed off my To Do List this weekend grew.  Not good for a busy working mom!  Not good for a busy working mom who lists every aspect of her life on her To Do List - including TV time!   



 
I was reminded of one of my dad's classic sayings:
Plan Your Work and Work Your Plan. 

I definitely did not work my plan this weekend!  On one hand - that's ok.  There is absolutely nothing wrong with spending some extra time vegging out in front of the TV.  On the other hand though, I know myself - this CAN'T become routine for me and it very easily could.  While this may sound crazy to some - the temptation to sit and watch those movies is so strong.  TV is one of my biggest weaknesses.  I LOVE to watch TV!  Knowing that, this evening I took some preventative measures to protect myself against two months of obsessive addictive TV viewing - I reviewed my plan. 

It's easy to talk about wanting to do something.  It's another thing to actually get it done.  I have found that if I don't plan something and write it on my calendar it probably won't get done.  That's why - for me - it works to make myself a very detailed schedule on a daily basis.  My daily schedule captures my bigger overall plan.  What goals am I striving to accomplish? 

One of the driving forces behind "my plan" is running a 5K month.  This forces me to continue running and exercising on a regular basis.  If I don't exercise on a regular basis, my ability to handle stress goes down, my weight goes up and my attitude is all over the place which in turns impacts my entire family (There is definite truth to the statement 'If Mama ain't happy,ain't nobody happy!'). 

Bringing that to the forefront of my thinking - after searching the Internet, my 5K calendar is planned out for the next four months - Pittsburgh Predator 5K in Boyce Park on 11/9, Jingle Bell Run on the North Shore on 12/7, the Frigid 5 Miler at North Park on 1/12 and the Cupid's Chase 5K on the North Shore on 2/8. 

My plan is in place. Now it's time to work it!  What's your plan for the next few months?

No comments:

Post a Comment