Saturday, May 3, 2014

Google and Go Cooking Day Five: Forgotten Jambalaya

I have always wanted to try Jambalaya just because it looked like such a cool dish.  As you can imagine, I was very excited to see this recipe make my list.  Even though I knew my family would not like it, I had told myself I was making the first five recipes to appear on the screen regardless of what they were so my hands were tied . . . I was making Jambalaya. 

I wish that I could type all of these wonderful words letting you know how much I LOVED this dish, but I can't.  I didn't like it!  However, I can honestly tell you that I think it was simply my taste buds and not the dish.  I'm just not that into too many spices.  We can blame my mother (Sorry Mom!) who rarely even uses salt in her cooking. 

Don't let the fact that I didn't like it stop you from trying it . . .

Forgotten Jambalaya

Ingredients:
1 lb smoked sausage, cut into slices
1 lb chicken breasts (boneless, skinless), cut into pieces
1/2 lb shrimp, medium
2 tsp basil, dried
3 celery ribs, chopped
5 garlic cloves
2 green peppers, medium, chopped
1 onion, medium, chopped
1-1/2 tsp oregano
3 tsp parsley flakes, dried
1 can tomatoes, diced
1 can beef or chicken broth
1 can tomato paste
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1-1/4 tsp salt
Hot cooked rice

Directions:
* Combine the tomatoes. broth and tomato paste.  Stir in the celery, green peppers, onion, garlic and seasonings.  Stir in chicken and sausage.

* Cover and cook on low for 4-6 hours or until chicken is no longer pink.  Stir in shrimp.  Cover and cook 15-30 minutes longer or until shrimp turn pink.  Serve over rice.
www.tasteofhome.com

When I first checked out this recipe, I was thinking that it was going to be very expensive.  However, when I looked in my freezer I had some shrimp and sausage that were both left over from previous recipes.  That was perfect!  Knowing that my family was most likely not going to like this, I cut the recipe in half. 

Crockpot week is officially over!  This week, I am trying to eat as much of the food that is already in my fridge and freezer as possible.  After over four months . . . I am finally getting a new oven!  YAY!  My oven stopped working on Christmas Eve.  I've been cooking solely on my stove top and crockpot.  I cannot wait to bake a batch of oatmeal cookies and fudge brownies and lasagna and honey mustard chicken!

I hope I shared at least one recipe that you will want to try! 

No comments:

Post a Comment