Wednesday, October 9, 2019

6 Simple Actions to Take TODAY Toward a Healthier You: Number Four

I sit here writing again from my husband's hospital room.  After his heart catheterization showed no blockages requiring intervention, he is now here under observation while the doctor's try a new medication to keep his heart in rhythm.  One thing this confirms for us is that all of Jamison's hard work in cardiac rehab and with his diet changes is paying off!  I know that if it making simple changes can help my husband improve his health, it can work for you, too.

So far we've talked about meal planning, increasing you daily movement and drinking more water.  My fourth idea for you of a something you can do TODAY is eat fresh fruit.  I'm constantly asking my family - have you eaten any fruit today?  For me, I try to eat fresh fruit with every meal.
Homemade Pineapple Salsa to serve with
Barbecue Pulled Pork
What are the benefits that I've found from eating fruit everyday?

1. There are numerous health benefits to every kind of fruit.  For example bananas and cantaloupe are good sources of potassium.  Blackberries and apples are high in fiber.  Fruit is good for your overall general health, but specific fruits have been found to have specific benefits towards specific diseases.

2. Fruits are naturally sweet which helps curb any craving that you're having for something sweetened by sugar or an artificial sweetener.  Exchange your daily afternoon candy bar with an apple or a banana!
Celebrating my staff's success with fruit instead of
sweets such as cookies or donuts.
3. There are so many different types of fruit that there is always something new to try - plumcots, stair fruit, dragon fruit, rambutan, kumquat . . . the list goes on and on and on.  There are also plenty of new recipes to try that include fruit.   I love trying new things, especially food! 
Apple Nachos with Cashew Butter and Chocolate Chips
I have found that the key to increasing the amount of fruit that I'm eating is to make it easily accessible.
  • Keeping a bowl of fruit on the kitchen counter.
  • Cutting up fruit and placing it in baggies or containers that I just grab out of the fridge.
  • Carrying fruit with me (You can always find an apple, pear or orange in my purse!).
Making healthy choices doesn't have to be hard or complicated.  Even the simplest action - like eating some strawberries or a plum - can have benefits to your health.  Give it a try!

No comments:

Post a Comment