Sunday, October 6, 2019

6 Simple Actions to Take TODAY Toward a Healthier You: Number One

My husband's heart attack was one heck of a wake up call that it was time to analyze the choices I was making when it came to my health.  For the past nine years I've been running and going to Zumba and lifting weights and cooking healthy foods, but nine years is a long time and I had started to drift a little.  Plus, life changes a lot in nine years.  My old basket of tricks was not working like they used to. 

On a positive note - It's been eight months since his heart attack and while I'm still anxious about whether or not another heart attack will sneak up on us and my stress level feels through the roof most of the time and I'm so incredibly tired all of the time, I'm proud of myself that I've maintained a focus of making healthy choices. I guess after a heart attack, how could it not?

If you are reading this than I imagine that you, too, are juggling many balls in the air.  You know those juggling routines where someone starts to juggle three balls and then someone throws in a fourth and a fifth and a sixth?  You watch amazed at how the juggler is able to keep so many balls in the air.  At the same time, you're wondering what's going to happen when the next ball is tossed in.  What will be the juggler's limit?  That's how I feel.  I'm working very hard to keep all of my balls in the air.  If one more ball is tossed in or if one ball goes out of sync, it's going to be all over.

So how do I keep my healthy choices ball in sync with all of the other balls that I'm juggling?  Answering this question forced me to pause and analyze how things were going - what habits needed to be added, what habits needed to be tossed our and what habits need to be tweaked a little bit.

Since February, I've been telling people - begging people -  to let our wake up call be your wake up call.  Over the next week, I want to share with you seven simple things that I am doing in my crazy life to continue to make my health a priority.  So here we go with number one . . .

Meal Planning is VITAL to my being successful in making healthy food choice.  

Meal planning is a simple task.  It can take as much or as little time as you want it to, but the benefits of meal planning are HUGE!  You will feel more in control rather than wandering aimlessly through the grocery store so you are more likely to make healthy choices.  You're stress level will be greatly decreased because what you're serving for dinner is one less worry.  You'll be more likely to stick to your food budget and waste less food because everything you put in your shopping cart will have a purpose.
I normally get my meal planning done during a break at work.
I've been planning my family's meals for years.  Having a plan in place helped me avoid last minute trips through the drive-thru or picking up a pizza on my way home.  Meal planning is actually one of my favorite things to do.  Looking through old cookbooks, cooking magazines and Pinterest to find delicious recipes to try.  Coming home and cooking was a way for me to relax after a busy day.  At this stage in life, however, that feeling of relaxing went out the window and meals have been adding to my stress.  So I still plan our meals every week, but I've made two key changes:

1) Cook two meals over the weekend to last me the entire week.  Seeing as I am currently often out of the house for breakfast, lunch and dinner, I need to have things to grab out of the fridge and throw in my lunchbox.  I still have the joy of looking up new recipes to try.  Instead of trying them on my family, I just make them for myself.  On the weekend, I cook my two meals and then divide them into containers for the week.  For example, this weekend I made Chicken Vegetable Soup, a Barbecue Beef Roast and six baked potatoes.  Luckily for me, I don't get tired of eating the sane thing multiple times in one week!  And selfishly, I can prepare meals that I like, but that would send my family running from the table.
I couldn't live without my crockpot!  This is simply three chicken breasts,
peppers, onion and a jar of spaghetti sauce.  YUM!!
2) Introduced my family to OYO Nights (aka On Your Own!).  Between my daughter working and  going to school, my husband managing his multiple medical appointments, tests and therapies and my working three jobs it got nearly impossible for me to cook for us as we are never at home all at the same time or by the time dinner was ready it was 10PM.  I love cooking for my family!  It's one way that I express my love for them.  But in this season of craziness, I realized that cooking for my family every single night of the week is not a reality.  Now when I write out my menu for the week, there will be several OYO nights.  I make sure that the kitchen is stocked with the ingredients that they need to make a dinner that they will like, but after that it is up to them.

These may seem like two simple ideas, but I'll tell you - it took me several weeks to figure how to juggle healthy meal planning, healthy meal prep and this season of crazy schedules.  Since I made these changes, I feel so much more relaxed and I have time to make additional healthy choices which had been dropped from my juggling act.

One thing you can do for your health is take a little bit of time to plan out what you're going to eat over the next few days.  That time you spend will have great benefits in the long run!

Happy planning!!
Words of wisdom from my dad!  



No comments:

Post a Comment