Sunday, March 23, 2014

Digging Deep to Find My Inner Superman

 
I am in the middle of a two week stretch of time where I feel as if there is NO way that I am going to be physically and mentally able to get everything done that needs to be done.  Work is always crazy, but we are in the midst of preparing for one of our state inspections that is happening at the end of next week which is always super stressful.  My daughter's birthday was last week which means over these two weeks we'll be having two extended family celebrations (one requiring a trip out of town), a family celebration on her actual birthday, a friend party, treats for school and overall jolliness on my part.  We have orchestra auditions, basketball tournament play-offs, track practice, two orthodontist appointments which include one child getting braces and PSSAs (Pennsylvania's standardized test) for both kids.  The end of next week culminates with an out-of-town concert and overnight stay with my daughter that was a Christmas gift (back in December this seemed like the perfect idea for the child who didn't have much on her wish list).  On top of all of that, several of my husband's chronic health conditions have chosen this time to flare up which has led to some medication adjustments which never EVER go smoothly as he is very sensitive to medication . . . DEEP BREATH.

I know that you can probably relate to having this high intensity stress at some point in your life.  Your list of stresses is probably a little different from mine, but the feeling is the same.  There is a constant burning sensation of worry in the pit of your stomach.  Your head feels as if it is going to explode.  Restful sleep is a something you hope for but never seem to achieve.  At times you know your blood pressure is sky high because you can hear your heart beating and feel the blood pumping through your veins.  You're irritable.  Your body feels heavy.  You wish you could climb into bed pull the covers over your head and hide until the stressful time passes. 

After barely surviving this first week, I was wondering how in the world I was going to make it through week two.  Even though I often think that I can do it all - the truth is that I am not Superman.  I can't hold the up the weight of the world with my own two hands!
 


Then I remembered something that I had picked up off a Clearance Rack awhile ago simply because it was $4 and I figured I would find a use for it someday.  Someday has arrived.


It's not time to crack under pressure.  It's not time to throw in the towel.  It's not time to curl up in the fetal position and sob uncontrollably.  It's time to dig deep and find my inner Superman.  DC Comics writer J. Michael Straczynski writes, "(Superman) stands for what we believe is the best within us: limitless strength tempered by compassion that can bear adversity and emerge stronger on the other side." 

I wore my Superman shirt all weekend and will wear it to bed every night this week to remind myself to face each day with limitless strength tempered by compassion.  I WILL get through this next week emerging stronger on the other side

Don't worry - I haven't completely lost it.  I'm doing more than dressing up in costume to get myself through the week:
1) Frequently reciting Galatians 6:9  "Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up."
2) Starting each morning with a protein packed smoothie
3) Maintaining my exercise routine
4) Playing Pharrell Williams' song "Happy" whenever I need a quick pick-me-up!

But . . . if you do happen to see something strange flying through the sky, it could be . . . a bird? . . . a plane? . . . It's SUPER MOM!
He stands for what we believe is the best within us: limitless strength tempered by compassion, that can bear adversity and emerge stronger on the other side. He stands for what we all feel we would like to be able to stand for, when standing is hardest.
Read more at http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/quotes/j/jmichaels557215.html#oMHbcQe1Dm8ObV4O.99

No comments:

Post a Comment