Thursday, February 21, 2019

Fun with Zoodles and Squoodles!

My cooking fun continues as I try new Heart Healthy recipes for my family to enjoy.  One ingredient that is new to me is veggie noodles - fresh vegetables spiraled into noodles!  I know that you can buy appliances to make your own veggie noodles, but I do not have the kitchen storage space for any more small appliances.  Plus, I did not want to spend the money on a new appliance before I was sure that my family would even go for these new noodles.

I was very excited to come across pre-packaged Zoodles (spiraled zucchini) and Squoodles (spiraled squash) in the produce section of my grocery store!  So far we've tried two recipes with these veggie noodles and I've loved them both.  Check out my fun!
Pre-Packaged Squoodles and Zoodles
   
Easy Chicken Fajita Zoodle Bowl

Ingredients
1 T Olive Oil
1 T minced garlic
1 yellow onion, sliced
1 red bell pepper, sliced
1 yellow bell pepper, sliced
2 tsp chili powder
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp paprika
salt & pepper
2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cooked and shredded
1 pkg of zoodles

Directions
Cook and shred the chicken (This can be a rotisserie chicken, chicken cooked in the oven/crockpot, leftover chicken - however you want to prepare the shredded chicken.)
In a large, nonstick skillet heat oil over medium high heat
Add garlic, onion, peppers and spices
Cook until veggies are soft
Add chicken and veggie noodles
Cook for an additional 6-8 minutes, stirring occasionally

Easy Chicken Fajita Zoodle Bowl

So yummy and easy!


Shrimp Skillet served over Zoodles & Squoodles
Adapted from Feta Shrimp Skillet, a recipe in Taste of Home's 30 Days of Heart Healthy Cooking

Ingredients
1 T Olive Oil
1 medium onion, finely chopped
1 T minced garlic
1 tsp dried oregano
1/2 tsp pepper
1/4 tsp salt
2 cans (14.5 ounces each) diced tomatoes, undrained
1/4 cup white wine
1 pound cooked medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
2 T minced fresh parsley
crumbled Feta cheese
Zoodles & Squoodles

Directions
In a large nonstick skillet, heat oil over medium high heat
Add onion, cook for 4-6 minutes or until tender
Add garlic and seasonings, cook for 1 minute
Stir in tomatoes and wine
Bring to a boil
Reduce heat, simmer uncovered for 5-7 minutes
Add shrimp, parsley and veggie noodles
Cook 5-6 minutes stirring occasionally
Sprinkle individual plates with Feta cheese before serving

Zoodles & Squoodles added to the skillet!

Looking good!

I may have accidentally dumped too much Feta on my dish - Ooooops!

These are simple, straight forward, good tasting recipes - just the kind I like!  I've made each meal once so they are most likely far from perfect meaning that you can experiment and adapt them anyway you'd like.  I'm having fun figuring out this heart healthy eating - hopefully you'll have fun with these recipes, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment