Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Leftovers From the Bottom of the Blender

Yesterday I had an Ah-Ha! moment.  It was one that has been staring me in the face for the past several weeks just waiting to be discovered.  It's something so obvious that I'm sure most people figured it out right away.  Or it could be that it is so obvious others have overlooked it just like me.

About a month ago I started making myself a smoothie for breakfast nearly every morning.  I don't measure anything - I just throw the fruit and other ingredients (normally vanilla almond milk, vanilla Greek yogurt, honey and oats) into the blender and let it crush away.

Every morning after I pour the yummy concoction into my cup there is always some left in the blender.  I never knew what to do with it so I have just been pouring it down the drain.

Yesterday I made my absolute favorite smoothie - peanut butter banana.  The bananas were at the absolute perfection of ripeness.  I knew this would be an exceptional smoothie so the thought of pouring the leftovers from the bottom of the blender down the drain was very sad.  Then I had a thought - What would happen if I poured the leftovers into a container and put it in the freezer? 

This morning I was wrapped up in the news and completely forgot to make my smoothie (I forgot to pack my daughter's lunch, too, but that's a different story.).  I opened the cupboard and spent a few seconds trying to decide if I should grab a pop tart or pour some dry cereal into a Ziploc before heading out the door.  And then I remembered . . . the leftover peanut butter banana smoothie!

It wasn't until I sat down in my company's daily morning meeting that I was able to take a bite of my breakfast treat.  Oh . . . My . . . Goodness!!!  You know those times that something tastes so good you can't help but close your eyes and let out a slow "Mmmmmmmmmm!"?  This was one of those times.  So YUMMY!

Ah-Ha!  There will be no more pouring of leftovers from the bottom of the blender down the drain in my house!  What a great way to make two breakfasts at one time, have a treat for dessert or a cold snack.  No more wasted food plus a little bit of saved time.  Sounds like an all around good thing to me!

No comments:

Post a Comment